Refine your search

Type of Venue

 

Location

 

Facilities

 

Or Venue Name

 
 

image for Church item typeWadhurst Methodist Church

Church, free entry

Wadhurst Methodist Church

Wadhurst Methodist Church

Contact

Church Office

Address

Lower High Street,
WADHURST,
East Sussex,
TN5 6AX

Details

The Methodist Church in the Lower High Street was built in 1874. It is much used, not only by the Methodist community, but also for many Church of England activities and for joint Anglican-Methodist services.

It was in 1792 (the year after John Wesley died) that we have the first record of a Methodist Society meeting in Wadhurst. It had a total membership of 13. It evidently grew quickly and in 1824 an entry in the official Record of 'dissenting meeting houses licenced in Sussex' records 'a schoolroom situated in the town and parish of Wadhurst'. The first Methodist building is believed to have been on a site near the present Youth Centre.

It was in 1874 that the present building was erected, the estimated cost being £500 but the actual cost amounted to £801 (nothing changes!). Additions & alterations continued until 1920 when alterations were made to the 'Sunday School entrance' and in 1957 the original door was bricked up. Otherwise the external appearance has remained much the same since the 1880s. Internally it's a different story: extensive alterations were begun in 1986 when the central wooden pulpit was removed and replaced by the present curtained area & raised dais, most of the work being carried out by members of the congregation notably Charlie Corke & Geoffrey Partis who also made the existing pulpit and lecturns. The pipe organ which stood in the left hand corner was sold to a Roman Catholic church in Bexhill. Further alterations were made in 1994 when the pews were removed and sold in order to pay for the new chairs, the floor carpeted, the minister's vestry became a kitchen and part of the 'schoolroom' was partitioned to create a new vestry - all this work being done in order to accommodate the Cameo Club. In the course of redecorating Albert Morse scraped all the dark Victorian varnish off the pine dado.

In the last few years extensive repairs and renewals have been made including work on the roof, repointing the walls, relaying the paths and redecorating the interior. We are grateful to those who established Methodism in Wadhurst, who built and paid for the building & who have lovingly maintained and adapted it over the years.

Prices

Free entry

Location

Directions

See location of Wadhurst Methodist Church on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: TQ 641317  Lat: 51.06145 Long: 0.34167